Thursday, September 9, 2010

more agentry horse pooh

This is serious.

Why do we need agents? Seriously? Somewhere down the line, the publishing houses simply became too overworked with submissions and such. Just like in every other facet of business, they became lazy and outsourced.

It is the same thing with a factory that has too much overturn in employees, the company hires three people, but it loses one, so on and so on. The company outsources the hiring to temporary agencies.

Now, whenever Joe Ineedajob, indeed needs a job, Joe is “forced” to go through a temporary placement agency.

Using the phrase “forced” is a little over the top, but so are these employment agencies. Obviously, no one is forced to go through a temp service, but when you have factory experience, and are looking to get a job you are experienced in, it is a slim chance, that one has other options.

Back onto the literary agents that I despise so much.

Today September 9, 2010, I have read three blogs with different information on how to query every agent. Seems to me, these egotistical assholes need to get together and make up a standard form or something.

Book Agents are lazy, talentless, entitled, do-nothings.

To call them lazy and do-nothings is wrong, they obviously do something, and I hear that most of them work long hours, so they cannot be that lazy.

Talentless and entitled? I think, that I hit the nail directly on the head. Maybe not talentless, but it is fair for me to assume, that if they could write, they would.

My dream was never to be an Agent. My dream was to be a writer. Unfortunately for me, no one wants to hear my author voice.

Okay, fine, am I going to give up? No, but I am also not going to go off and become an author agent. You people should become teachers, and teach people how to write, instead of telling them.

However, wait, I guess a teacher does not make as much money, teaching the youth of America how to write, as an author agent does.

I mean, the agent who “found” Kite Runner, obviously was not going to make as much as he or she did by teaching.

To the human who agented the author who gave the world, and college students everywhere, the unfortunate experience of reading Kite Runner, you might not have made as much money being a teacher, but at least you would have done something.

The publishing houses need to stop outsourcing. Hire people to read manuscripts, as companies, they would make so much more money. So would the writers.

By the industry even having agents, whom is it helping?

No comments:

Post a Comment